Friday, February 23, 2007

So this is a Democratic Congress

When the Democrats lost their majority in 1994, I had just turned 15. needless to say, I wasn't as in tune with Congress as I am now. I do know a fair bit about Congressional history, though, and I feel pretty secure in saying that this kind of crap wasn't happening then. If there is anyone out there who believes that this kind of polar partisanship is a good thing, I'd like to meet them. Actually, I'd like them to stay as far away from me as possible. I'm glad that people in the Bay Area have such strong opinions about Congress and its members, because I'm sure they're all very well schooled in its operations as only people 2500 miles away can be.

Ellen Tauscher does what every Member of Congress is supposed to do, which is deliver for her constituents, whether that means bringing jobs to the district, keeping them from leaving, or providing social services, or whatever. By most accounts, she's pretty good at it. if you live in her district and you disapprove of her work, let her know. It's your right. Otherwise, quit it. Odds are good that your jurisdiction is not perfect. Worry about that first.

I think the Internet and the explosion of mass media is a good thing in most ways. We're far better informed as a culture than we were even 20 years ago. I find these things depressing. Last year, Bono visited with Harry Reid. I'm willing to bet a lot of constituents - citizens of Nevada - were told Senator Reid wasn't able to meet them that day because he was spending his time with someone who doesn't live in his state, or even his country! I could fill pages with anti-Bono rants. Tauscher shouldn't have to care about Kos or anybody outside her district.

It's very disconcerting to see so many people who think that affiliating yourself with a political party means that there's some multiple-choice quiz that you have to score well on to be included. It seems that this gets magnified the farther you get from DC. My representative is a Republican, and I think he does a pretty good job representing our district. The economy is certainly good in Fairfax County, the schools are good, our houses aren't being searched randomly, and last time I checked, you can't draft a whole Congressional district and send them off to war. Someone will always beef that an elected official doesn't share their views. And this is probably a good thing. I'm extremely liberal. But there's no way I'd want 435 of me in the House. Certain things would go straight to hell. I wouldn't want 435 conservatives either. Our government works pretty well, and it always has. We need the balance in order to make things work and keep people from reverting to their human nature and abusing their power. Unless someone has committed a crime, stop the witch hunt.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home