Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Why Perfection Isn't For Me

Every time our accounting and finance department gives something back to me to "revise" (it happens a lot), I think to myself, "I could never be an accountant." It's not that I don't feel like I'd be competent, or that I'm poor at math, or anything like that. It's that I just don't care enough. It's hard for me to grasp that it matters if "the books" balance exactly. I turned in an expense report from one of our members (I work at a nonprofit), and it was $10 off. I would have just fixed it so the amounts matched up. But instead, I had to do a missing receipt affadavit and redo the expense report for this guy.

There are a whole host of jobs I could never do because of the perfection barrier; human resources would be a nightmare for me with all the regulations. Air traffic controller, probably out.

I think everyone must dream of doing SOMETHING creative with their life. I know I do. Sometimes I feel creative, and sometimes I feel boxed in. I would love for this web thing to become wildly influential and lucrative. The problem is that I'm not really bringing a whole lot to the table here. Nobody has any reason to bring me on a Sunday morning talk show, or feature me on some tech show. It's a blog about nothing. And I guess that sticks with the imperfection theme.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home